Each button in the header has "unlit" version that is normally visible. However, when you mouse over one of these buttons, it "lights up." Mousing over buttons also causes a balloon to appear describing that button. Those balloons may display emoticons based on which button (logging out is always sad) or when the page for the button is the current page.
Read more »
What is left is finding out how compatible the site is with the browsers that poeple actaully use. Please use one of the following to let me know how well your browser(s) renders the site.
When providing your information, please be sure to provide as much of the following as possible. Thanks.
- OS Version
- Browser version
- Do you have any ad blocking software or Mozilla extensions? Please include NoScript.
- A screen shot could be helpful. You should be able to upload screenshots in the forums if they aren't too large.
There are two main problems. First, 99% or more of my testing is done with Firefox (currently, I run 3.0.4). I have IE 8 Beta 2, but normally only use it outside a Firefox extension called IE Tab for Microsoft Update. The one time I tried to open the site inside IE 8's own interface, it kept crashing. I know it renders the site poorly inside Firefox/IE Tab. There doesn't appear to be much I can do about that.
WebKit poses a different problem. I don't have any plans to use or download either Safari or Google Chrome. I would test with WebKit if there was a way to use it inside Firefox like I can IE. Ditto for Opera. Sorry.
They are actually very similar. I have decided to reserve the Site News part for myself. That portion of the site will be the replacement for the old blog. As for the Blog section, since I am using News, the Blogs portion will be available for those that show they could use it. Both News and Blogs have their own RSS feeds.Note: The names could change.
Now functional are "lit" buttons on the header. These change to lighter colors as you move over them. These buttons are as follows:
- Top Left: The homepage for the site.
- Top Right: If you are logged out, this is a registration link. If you are logged in, it opens your profile. (Clicking on your name where it appears just after "Logged in as" does the same thing.)
- Bottom Right: If you are logged out, this logs you in. If you are logged in, it logs you out.
I expect to have some tooltip-like labels shortly for those buttons. Tomorrow, I plan to implement similar tips for the site menu and possibly some expanding menus. If you move the mouse over News, a list of categories will appear. Move the mouse over "Forums", a list of forums will show up.
That turned out to be the best way. This was due to the following reasons:
- I had only a few months worth of posts.
- I was omitting some of those (see below).
- UCoz (our host) can't import blog posts (or much else it seems).
- While you could export from Blogger with RSS, I didn't know if it would go back that far or not. RSS might have limited me to just a handful of posts. I didn't know and didn't want to find out.
To be imported, posts couldn't be about any of the following:
- The old blog.
- In progress items.
- In Queue
- Requests from you
- Updates about this site (the new one!)